Explain the modifiable and nonmodifiable risk factors for osteoporosis. How can a nurse support the patient to manage the health condition and restore the patient to optimal health?
CLC – Evidence-Based Practice Project: Intervention Presentation on Diabetes Part 2
This is a Collaborative Learning Community (CLC) assignment.
As a group, identify a research or evidence-based article published within the last 5 years that focuses comprehensively on a specific intervention or new treatment tool for the management of diabetes in adults or children. The article must be relevant to nursing practice.
Create a 12-15 slide PowerPoint presentation (not including the title page and references) on the study’s findings and how they can be used by nurses as an intervention. Include speaker notes for each slide and additional slides for the title page and references.
Include the following:
- Describe the intervention or treatment tool and the specific patient population used in the article.
- Summarize the main idea of the research findings for the specific patient population. The research presented must include clinical findings that are current, thorough, and relevant to diabetes and nursing practice.
- Provide a description of how the treatment tool or intervention can be integrated into nursing practice. Provide evidence to support your discussion. Reflect how the treatment tool or intervention will affect nursing practice and the disease process.
- Explain why psychological, cultural, and spiritual aspects are important to consider for a patient who has been diagnosed with diabetes. Describe how support can be offered in these respective areas as part of a plan of care for the patient. Provide examples.
You are required to cite a minimum of three sources to complete this assignment. Sources must be published within the last 5 years and appropriate for the assignment criteria and relevant to nursing practice.
While APA style is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and documentation of sources should be presented using APA formatting guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. A link to the LopesWrite technical support articles is located in Class Resources if you need assistance.
Vidyadharan, V., Hamdan, M., & Zalzala, A. M. S. (2021). An Evidence-Based Study of Diabetes Prevention and Management with NLP and Deep Learning. 2021 IEEE Symposium Series on Computational Intelligence (SSCI), Computational Intelligence (SSCI), 2021 IEEE Symposium Series On, 1–8. https://doi-org.lopes.idm.oclc.org/10.1109/SSCI50451.2021.9660000
This article talks about managing diabetes with deep learning and natural learning processes. It is relevant to nursing practice because nurses can teach patients and provide resources.
Expert Solution Preview
To support a patient with osteoporosis in managing their health condition and restoring them to optimal health, a nurse can take several actions:
1. Education: The nurse can provide the patient with information about osteoporosis, its risk factors, and the importance of preventive measures such as calcium and vitamin D supplementation, regular weight-bearing exercises, and fall prevention strategies.
2. Medication Management: The nurse can assist with medication management by ensuring that the patient understands the prescribed medications, their potential side effects, and the importance of adherence to the prescribed regimen.
3. Nutritional Support: The nurse can collaborate with a dietitian to develop a personalized meal plan that includes foods rich in calcium and vitamin D to support bone health.
4. Physical Activity: The nurse can encourage the patient to engage in a regular exercise routine that includes weight-bearing exercises, strength training, and balance exercises. The nurse can also provide information on appropriate exercise programs and refer the patient to physical therapy if needed.
5. Fall Prevention: The nurse can assess the patient’s home environment for potential fall hazards and provide recommendations for modifications, such as removing rugs, installing handrails, and improving lighting.
6. Supportive Devices: The nurse can educate the patient about the use of assistive devices such as canes or walkers to improve mobility and reduce the risk of falls.
7. Emotional Support: The nurse can provide emotional support and counseling to the patient to address any anxiety or fear related to osteoporosis and its impact on their daily life.
8. Referrals: The nurse can collaborate with other healthcare providers, such as physical therapists, occupational therapists, and social workers, to ensure comprehensive care for the patient and to address any specific needs related to osteoporosis management.
By implementing these actions, the nurse can support the patient in managing their osteoporosis and working towards restoring their optimal health.