Select two discussion questions from the chapter below and post your response addressing the two questions in one posting response (be sure to identify the questions you selected in your response).
Chapter 7- The Courts and Legal Professionals- Select Two Questions Below:
1. What is the difference between judicial independence and judicial impartiality? Which is more important, in your opinion?
2. To what extent are laypeople (that is, those not legally trained) used in the court systems of our model countries? What are the advantages and disadvantages of such a system?
3. Debate in class the advantages and challenges of supranational courts and/or whether the United States should support the International Criminal Court.
4. In your class, in small-group discussions, rank the court systems from 1 (worst) to 6 (best) in terms of what you think it would be like to be involved in them as a defendant, and discuss why. Then compare your results with the other groups.
5. Go to the United Nations document “Basic Principles on the Role of Lawyers” at http://www1.umn.edu/humanrts/instree/i3bprl.htm and determine whether any of the model nations would have a compliance problem with the principles. What principles would be most problematic? For what countries?